(2) And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
(3) They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
(4) But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
(5) While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
(6) And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
(7) Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
(8) And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
(9) But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy, for yourselves.
(10) And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
(11) Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
(12) But he answered and said , Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
(13) Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
Are you ready? Are you prepared? Do you have plenty of oil for your lamp. What does this mean some may ask? In the Word of God, lamp/light is symbolic of God's Word. His Word is a Lamp unto my feet and a Light unto my path. Oil is symbolic of the Holy Spirit. If you do a study on oil in the old and new testament you will find that it's purpose/it's meaning and it's use was for anointing and consecrating purposes. Oil was used to anoint as to dedicate something or someone to some service or goal. Oil was used to make or declare sacredness. Oil was also used for medicinal purposes as to bring healing. By the Power of the Holy Spirit in us we are anointed, dedicated, sacred and even healed.
If a lamp is shining long and bright it has plenty of oil. This is the same with us spiritually speaking. The Word of God in us can only burn brightly if we are full of the Holy Spirit, thus being sanctified (set apart and anointed). Oil (Holy Spirit) brings forth the Light (Word), the Light/Word will thus shine forth from our lives for all to see.
You are the light of the world a city upon a hill, men will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Jesus is the Light within us and it is by His Spirit that we burn brightly. Hide not your light under a bushel. Let it shine forth for all to see.
The foolish virgins did not have enough oil and their lamps went out. They were not prepared. They slumbered, they slept, they became lax in their waiting for the bridegroom. Their connection/communion with their bridegroom was void and on empty. They had no oil. Now they wanted a quick fix. "Give us some of your oil" they told the wise virgins. They think they can conveniently ride the coat tails of the wise virgins in requesting the use of some of their oil. But the wise virgins being wise as they were said "NO."
We are accountable for ourselves to be ready for Christ's return. No one can ride the coat tails of someone else into the chamber room of Christ (the bridegroom). To be His Bride you must have an intimate connection of communication with Him (for your own sake) by and through the power of His Holy Spirit in your own life.
Always be ready and prepared. Keep full of the oil (His Holy Spirit). Watch therefore for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the son of man cometh. The wise virgins had plenty of oil in their lamps plus they even had extra vessels of oil with them. Are you filled with the Holy Spirit? Is the Light of Christ/His Word, His love, His Truth burning brightly in your life?
Our communion with God only comes through the Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus in us. Christ Jesus in us the hope of glory. If you are not filled with the Holy Spirit your light is not burning, which means that there is no communion/connection with Christ in your life. Don't be like the foolish virgins that was not prepared and came to late knocking on the Bridegroom's door only to hear Him say, "I know you not."
The Spirit and the Bridegroom say COME. The Spirit and the Bridegroom is calling to His Bride. Don't close your ears to His calling. AWAKE! Bride of Christ. May you long to know Him more intimately through the fullness of His Holy Spirit in you. Be filled, ready, and prepared for His coming!